Monday, 22 February 2016

Author Plus

I've been working on my social profile and my online presence this week. Promotion is one of the dreaded duties of published writers and like most I hate it. Some authors find the technical side of online promotion daunting. I can totally sympathise with people not used to Twitter and Facebook trying to get "out there" and feeling overwhelmed by hashtags, likes and shares. This isn't my problem. My issue is less about the not knowing how to say stuff, and much more focused on what to say.

I'm hyper conscious that my posts are public and that when I do make a statement I'm representing my career and my work. I'm also super aware that I have a bizarre sense of humour that doesn't necessarily translate onto the web as well as I'd like. I tend to keep my posts moderated and concise. In saying this, in order to maintain a presence I have to promote something. The easy option of course would be to talk about my work. Don't get my wrong. I love my work. I love writing it. You will love reading it. But - and it's a big BUT - I don't want to talk about it all the time.

This I've learnt is a good thing. People don't like being "sold to" perpetually. I am people and I vouch for that statement.

So this week, as well as working on scheduling posts, doing a bit of writing, and hosting more parties than I can count, I have also been re-engaging with my old hobbies and interests. This is a bit of a revelation for me. Although I love music and film, I've been so busy with writing and promotion and editing and promotion, and writing and perfecting writing... I lost touch with a lot of the things that make me happy and made me - me.

I've been introducing myself as "L E Fitzpatrick, paranormal thriller author."

That's only a slice of my personality. I'm L E Fitzpatrick, I love the countryside. I love it when it rains. I have a dog who governs my life, an evil cat, and a kid that is way smarter than me. My favourite films are action packed and tend to be set in space. My music has to be loud and aggressive. I don't like raw tomatoes, raw onions don't like me. My jokes tend to come faster than my self-restraint. I can't do hair or makeup. I don't wear high heels even though I'm only 5'2. Oh and I also write books. Who are you?

No comments: