Monday, 7 December 2015

Monday Motivation

I’ve very recently given up my adult life and retreated into the literary world full time. This has been a dream of mine for a number of years and although the timing of the transition was more rushed than I had wanted, I’m now settled into a new life full time writer and editor.

Working from home full time is one of the weirdest experiences I’ve ever had. Having gone from 12 years in a populated office – I’m now here on my own (apart from a needy Staffordshire Bull Terrier and 6 Music) for the better part of the day. In fact I was so worried about going a bit... shall we say odd?... that I found a job doing a couple of nights a week in a local restaurant in case I forgot what it was like to converse with people.

But the hardest thing about working from home isn't the mad rushes, or the isolation - it's the motivation. I’m my own boss and that means I’m answerable to myself. If I have a deadline to meet motivation is easy, but those quiet days have the potential for disaster.


I start work at 9.00 am every day, but what I’m working on varies from one day to the next depending on what I’ve got going on. This doesn’t seem that unusual apart from the fact that I now have to think in advance about what work I’ve got coming in and how I can spread it over the weeks. Like, for instance, keeping a regular blog post, which I’ve sort of committed to keep going on a Monday.

I'd scribbled a little post that bears some resemblance to this one on Wednesday. But that was before I got a rush of editing jobs and my own book back from my editor. Suddenly it's panic stations and this little blog nearly got forgotten about. But hey, I'm here, I made it. Motivation and commitment, that's all it really takes to keep pressing forward. And coffee. That helps too.

No comments: